Tomorrow will be the only Vice Presidential Debate between Mike Pence and Tim Kaine. If you had seen my last post, I wrote about how the Presidential Debates are a failure because of the parties and the media. Just because it’s a vice presidential debate, it doesn’t mean that there will be significant improvements from the Presidential Debate.
Here are just a few suggestions for a real debate.
- Fact-checking: This shouldn’t be something that should be debated. The candidates have to be held accountable for inaccurate statements. There should be one or two real-time fact checkers at the debate.
- Questions on corruption: American politics is becoming increasingly corrupt, and money in the political system is hindering our democracy.
- Questions on climate change: Carbon in the atmosphere is over 400 parts per million, and according to researchers it has reached 400 parts per million for the indefinite future.
- Questions on Poverty: Almost absent from the first debate even though close to 75% of Americans are living paycheck-to-paycheck.
- Questions on Racial Issues: Issues such as police brutality have been in the limelight and African-Americans have been disproportionately shot by police as an example.
Unfortunately, this won’t happen because the Mainstream Media isn’t focusing on all the real issues and policy substance as Harvard studies found out throughout the election cycle, from the invisible primary through the primary itself.